1. Why did you leave India?
To pursue my Masters.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
No plan as of now.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Independence, meeting people of varied backgrounds and getting to know their culture.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
People tend to be more individualistic and materialistic. There's also serious lack of family bonds/social life among people here unless ofcourse you have tons of friends.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Nope, not at all.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Initially I thought that it's no big deal. But the more I think about it, the more complicated this issue is. I think for such a couple there's every chance of getting isolated
from family/friends not because of any personal differences, but because of the difference in culture and language.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
1. Control population growth.
2. Set up long term goals for dealing with natural disasters.
3. Set up various incentives for farmers who form the backbone of our nation as ours is primarily an agricultural country.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1. Over population and poverty caused by it
2. Dealing with the terrorists in Kashmir
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Dr.Kalam for the contributions he made to our space and defence program.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
I think it did hurt other sports. With the same kind of encouragement, our Hockey team could have thrived much better.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
3. Winning the 1971 and the Kargil wars
14. What is your favourite pastime?
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I recieved the best outgoing student award in front of my parents, grandparents and friends, when I graduated from Engineering.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My trip to Yosemite Valley this summer.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
My mom's home made dosa.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Amar chitra kathayee
2. Adventures of Tintin
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Hey guys, I know a lot of you are away from your families and friends. But there's no point in getting depressed about it. Get busy with some activity. There are
a lot of things you can do here to occupy yourself.
Meet Malli Nallamothu.He currently lives in Reston, Virginia, USA.
Published - August 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.