1. Why did you leave India?
I found an opportunity to explore life somewhere other than India.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
At this point of time I have no plans as such.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Lots of Privacy, civic sense, no bureaucracy.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
I miss my parents and Indian food terribly.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Nope, not one bit.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I have absolutely no problem as long as its a give-and-take relationship.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I would implement a strong, constructive, multifaceted family planning programme. The ever burgeoning population of India is a shame on all of us.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Tolerance, self sufficiency and the philosophical mindset.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1. Over population
2. Red tape/bureaucracy
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
I don't think any kind of government would be efficient so long it would not implement rule of the law, root out corruption/bureaucracy and control the population.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Mahathma Gandhi and Gandhi alone! He's ever relevent to India.Other than that, I admire the former Election commitioner T.N.Seshan tremendously who brought some sense of
dignity to the otherwise lawless election process.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Cricket is just a game in sport. Its high time that people in our families support their children to pursue other sports. Charity begins at home.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Music ( Classical symphonies, Jazz, old rock, blues, easy listening ), swimming, jogging, movies.
15. What is your happiest memory?
My childhood, school days are the best time of my life yet.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My trip to Yellow stone national park in Montana/Utah/Wyoming last month, which was fantastic
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Masala Dosa. Its just unbeatable.
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2. Gone with the wind
3. City lights
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
I do not have the reading habit. I wish I did develop it but unfortunately, I don't have patience for books.
20. A message from you to other NRIs
Help your country eradicate social evils such as illiteracy, hunger and social injustice.
Meet Krishnamurthy Subramanian. He currently lives in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and is employed in the financial services sector.
Published - April 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.