1. Why did you leave India?
For better job prospects!
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Oh yes! Definitely. Haven't thought 'bout which city yet.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
The physical comfort and choices this place can give in everything.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Not having the people I grew up with near me, like parents for instance.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes. I believe the compassion and the want to share that's so abundant in Indians is missing out here. I would be worried if my family grew up to be selfish.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Marriage is about people, not their religion or language!!I wouldn't mind ofcourse. However I am happily married to a woman who speaks my language.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I am not into politics, but I think there are one too many things to be taken care of.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. They are intelligent, can survive anywhere
2. Can survive anywhere
3. have great family values.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
2. Illiteracy and ignorance
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No. A communist government for a while would do good.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
My parents, Dr.Viswanath, my college professor.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Cricket by itself is good. It unites the country, but the corruption in the name of the game is filthy.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1. People now appreciate freedom
3. Has taken as much as possible from the world around
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Video games, Indian music[Hariprasad Chaurasia's flute].
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I got married to someone who thinks like me & loves being an Indian.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
In India? My trip from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Chicken biryani my wife makes.
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2. Schindler's list
3. Charlie chaplin movies
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Love story - Eric segal.
2. Chicken soup series
20. A message from you to other NRIs
Live life like there is just one, Love people like they were the only one, Be an indian like that's the only one.
Meet Krishnamurthy Subramanian. He currently lives in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and is employed in the financial services sector.
Published - April 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.