1. Why did you leave India?
Better opportunities in the field of Medicine.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, after 5-10 years, to Bangalore.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Professional respect and growth potential, financial independance.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Being away from family and friends, and our culture.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes, to a certain extent.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Acceptable, though not my first choice.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Weed out corruption...if at all possible!!
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. Strong family values
2. Rich history and culture
3. Our free and democratic status
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1. Population and poverty
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No. Our present parliamentary system is great if corruption is ended and quality people come to power.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Chess player V. Anand.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Helped. India' poor sporting record has other reasons.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1. Maintaining a free and democratic state
2. Success in the IT industry
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Sports, all aspects.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Getting married to my wife in 1997.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Banff national Park, Canada.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Andhra style Chicken Biryani.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2. Saving Private Ryan
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Several books by Erich segal
2. I. Asimov, P.G Woodehouse
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Many of us have come a long way...but don't forget your roots, your family and your country.
Meet Samir T Kumar.He is a Doctor currently residing in Chicago.
Published - July 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.