1. Why did you leave India?
To earn more money to see the world
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Not sure, if returning, would love to settle down in Andamans!!!
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Access to a lot of things .
4. What do like least about being abroad?
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
As long as there is an understanding between the two people there is never a problem.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Try to reduce corruption.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Heritage, climate, people .
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Corruption, unemployment, illiteracy .
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Can't say .
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Vidhyakar of Udhavum Karangal (Madras) .
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It has not helped
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
High literacy rate in southern states, population control in some of the states and high employment rate in some of the states .
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Listening to music, it is more a part of life than a pastime.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Childhood days in Marina beach with my parents and brother..
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My trip from Bombay to Madras in our Ambassador car.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Sound of Music, Abhimaan (Hindi), Salangai Oli in tamizh.
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand), Fountain Head (Ayn Rand), If Tommorow Comes (Sidney Sheldon)
20. A message from you to other NRIs
Do not ignore your fellow Indians, please acknowledge their presence!!!
- Shyamala Sathiaseelan in Dublin, Ireland
She currently a software engineer with Guinness Ireland Group (brewery). Originally from Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu, she has lived in Dublin, Ireland for the past one and a half years. She got the third prize in an India travelogue writing competition.
Published - 1999
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.