1. Why did you leave India?
My profession requires me to be moving. I opted to go abroad for some time. Primarily to make some money.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes of course, Pune.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Life is very comfortable and easy.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Very materialistic. Culturally we don't suit, although that doesn't matter.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Am quite liberal, but parents/family members opinion plays an important part.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Primary education would be free for girls.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Big democracy, Resourceful talent.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Population, Corruption, Plans don't get implemented to the roots.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Don't think so. We need democracy.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Jaswant Singh, Foreign Minister.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It's sad that our national game lacks the required glamour and attention. Cricket is a very passionate game, yes it is getting undue attention.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Space Research, Technology, and Healthy Economy.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Music, reading and travel.
15. What is your happiest memory?
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Desert ride to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Roti made of jawar with chutney and hot vegetable curry.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Izazzat (Hindi), Pinzara (Marathi) and Mauna Ragam (Tamil).
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Indian Psyche by Sudhir Kakkar, God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, Future Shock by Alvin Toffler.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
You all are important to India in some ways. Any kind of help is appreciated.
- Harish Purohit in Khobar, Saudi Arabia
He currently working as a project controls engineer with Bechtel Inc. in Saudi Arabia. He has a Masters in construction projects management from NICMAR Pune. Originally from Bijapur (Karnataka), he has been in Khobar, Saudi Arabia for the past one year. While in India, he was actively involved with SPICMACAY, promoting Indian music and culture through concerts and lecture demonstrations.
Published - 1999
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.