1. Why did you leave India?
For career growth and big aspirations.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Return, maybe after 20years of working abroad to set up a company in Delhi. I love delhi, my home city.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
That you can realise big dreams without getting dragged by red tapism.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
The social life, specially for someone who spent most of the childhood and youth in india. It is hard to apapt to western culture.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes, the western values are too corrosive and that is something I definitely dont want in my family, when I raise one.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Out of question. As bold and forthcoming as it sounds, it is a unhappy life full of misunderstandings.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Implement population control. Remember "Hum do humarey do"??
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
2) Technically Skilled Manpower
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
There is no way of ensuring that the presidential system will not harbour the same illiterate, selfish politicians. The root problem is something else entirely.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It has stunted the growth of sports like football, tennis etc where most of the nations of the world comete. Now wonder it shows in a dismal tally in the Olympics.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Having put in place a neuclear deterrant. Our international neighbourhood is perhaps the most dangerous in the world.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Surfing and chatting with Indians.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Not yet happened.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My journey from Delhi to Paris. The first journey where my dad did not pay for me!!
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Kadai Chicken + Rumali Roti.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) Hum Aapke Hain Kaun
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Dont read much.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Never forget where you have come from. Always remember you owe your motherland a lot....so atleast show that gratitude by sending her money.
Meet Mayank Sharma. He currently lives in Metz (France) and works in the IT industry.
Published - February 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.