1. Why did you leave India?
For higher studies.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes in 3-4 years. Would settle anywhere in South India with good opportunities.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Opportunities to go on adventure trips like hiking, trekking, canoeing, etc.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Pretty lonely and people tend to become indifferent. Don't know if that is because this comes with age but when I visit home things seem so different.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Most definitely. Because of the education system.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Would not work as it will be difficult unless we can compromise on existing relationships which I cannot.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Focus on feeding everyone in India without letting corruption come in the way. Then educate people once they have a full stomach.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Education System, Diversity, Importance of Family.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Population growth, Brain Drain, Corruption.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
I don't think it has made any difference except for people who make a big deal about it. It has given youngsters lot of role models which is good.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Chatting with old friends.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Days at hostel during my undergraduate years.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
To yelagiri in India.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Angoor, Badshah, Siva (Telugu).
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
7 Habits of highly effective people, Yes Minister/Prime Minister.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Just enjoy life and think of doing a bit for you country. When you go back there for a visit, take a weekend to visit one of the orphanages and spend the whole day there. Your presence will make a lot of difference to those children!!
Meet Ramkumar Venkataraman, He currently lives in Piscataway, NJ, USA and works in the IT industry.
Published - October 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.