1. Why did you leave India?
Because after my graduation, I was planning to earn some good money.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Of course, in Hyderabad.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Good and luxurious life.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Miss my parents.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
No, because of high cost of education.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I don't think it will be a problem to marry outside the community.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I will do my best to stop the corruption and take India towards success and prosperity where every Indian gets three meals a day..
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Qualified manpower for whom there is a demand all over the world.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Corruption in every corner of the country, which is not allowing India to grow at a steady pace.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No, I don't think so.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Mr. A.B.Vajpayee, Mr. Chandra Babu Naidu.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Cricket has helped India but lately because of match fixing scandals it has spoiled our country's name.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
No significant achievements since Independence except leaders' promises.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
15. What is your happiest memory?
The time my son was born.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
When I performed Haj.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Chicken 65 and Tandori Kabab.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Hum Apke Hai Kaun, Sholay, Moghul-e-Azam.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Sorry I don't read books.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
You are from one of the biggest democracies in the world, work hard to bring the name of your country on the top of the world, don't let other Indians down and don't spoil India's name.
Meet M. M. Khan Shafiq, He currently lives in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and works in Business Services.
Published - September 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.