1. Why did you leave India?
To create a good career path and earn more money.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
As of today, I have no such plans. But maybe in the coming future I might.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Principled, truth and recognition are some of the most things I like here.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Being away from family, loved ones, Indian culture.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
No I wouldn't be.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Well I am sort of that. I am Sindhi who had has a love marriage with Maharashtrian. Doesn't make much a difference as along u have an understanding with each other. I have a close friend, a Gujarati who has married a Muslim. They are doing very well.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I would first persuade all cos in India earning a good profit to adopt education cost and see ot it that all Indians are educated.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Humanity, Simplicity, Culture.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Education, Poverty, Unemployment.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Will not make much a difference as long as every Indian unites to help other fellow beings.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Our Prime Minister -Atal Bihari Vajpayee, He is really doing some good work to bring up India.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Cricket has helped India , but low/no recognition of the players which lead to corruption has hurted a lot.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Democracy, Nuclear Power, IT.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading Books, Newspapers.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When my Parents accepted my Love as their Bride.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My trip to Shirdi before coming to US.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Dal - Rice.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Hum Saath Saath Hain, Maine Pyaar Kiya, Dil hain ke Mainta Nahin.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Sri Sai Charitra.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
I would request to all those NRI's if you have the power and financially sound and love your country, then help our motherland in whatever way u can as you would have helped your mother when she needed your Help. Jai Hind.
Meet Girish Sawnani, He currently lives in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and works in Information Technology.
Published - August 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.