1. Why did you leave India?
For earning in a better way and in a better atmosphere.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes. I would like to live in my home town Rampur U.P.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Law and order situation, and less corruption.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
At the end of the day we are foreigners here.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I would only prefer to marry in my own community and in my own country.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Removal of corruption from its roots, easy laws for NRIs like lifting customs duty completely and better chances for their settlement while back to India.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
A genius manpower which has been proved throughout the world. Its Nuclear Programme. Its IT exports.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Communal problem is the most dangerous problem which has been created for political gains, Population problem, Corruption.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Chandra Babu Naidu who uplifted the name of India in IT industry and exports.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
I dont think there is any achievement.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Playing Karate or web surfing on the net.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I first time arrived to Riyadh.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
When I first time went to Bombay by Rajdhani Express.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Karate Kid, Vidhaata, Ardh Sathya.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Raheeq Al-Makhtoom, Parda, How to speak for yourself.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
I request to every NRI to associate with each other, make a community and then place our demands to the Govt. of India. We want better chances for settle down to India. We want special protection for our families cause several elements are threatening our families there. We need very special handling otherwise the day is not away that any NRI won't like to return to India neither he will submit his remittances there. Thanks!
Meet Sultan Ahmad. He currently lives in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and works in the transportation sector.
Published - August 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.