1. Why did you leave India?
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Cleanliness and hasslefree life, saving potential.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Missing social functions & festivals back home.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
No, as long as they are aware of our culture.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Its an individual decision. However as long as the other partner is educated, hails from a decent family background & respects human values its fine.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Eradicate corruption and provide comfortable living for a common man.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Strong Culture, Intellectual people, Natural resources.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Population explosion, Dirty Politics, Lack of Patriotism amongst masses.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Certainly, a stick approach is required otherwise things will only deteriorate. However the stick should be in the right hands.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
The obsession has not hurt us but the players certainly have disappointed us.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Competance in Engineering field, Nuclear explosion, Self reliance.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Listening to music.
15. What is your happiest memory?
The childhood days spent in non-polluted Delhi.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Visit to Tirupati Devasthanam.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Cholay Bhature, mango pickle & a glass full of Lassi - Delhi style !
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Satyakam, Anand, Anupama.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Not a Penny Less Not a Penny More, Prodigal Daughter (Jeffrey Archer)
20.A message from you to other NRIs
I request to every NRI to associate with each other, make a community and then place our demands to the Govt. of India. We want better chances for settle down to India. We want special protection for our families cause several elements are threatening our families there. We need very special handling otherwise the day is not away that any NRI won't like to return to India neither he will submit his remittances there. Thanks!
Meet Sultan Ahmad. He currently lives in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and works in the transportation sector.
Published - August 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.