1. Why did you leave India?
Education in the US and to join the rest of my extended family.
2.Do you plan to return to India to settle down? If returning, where would you like to live?
Not in the near future.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
The relative freedom of workplace and quality of environment.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Loss of Indian cultural values and people.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes, especially the loss of kids' cultural origins.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I don't mind as long as they're Indian! Having stated that, my preference is someone with similar religion (Hindu), a common language (English, Hindi, etc.) and interests.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Not looking to do this soon! Issues that do come to mind are: corruption, the caste system and standard of living.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Population, corruption and the caste system.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Helped. Cricket is great! :)
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
14.What is your happiest memory?
Friends, food and environment.
15.What's your favourite pastime?
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Travelling from Bangalore to Ahmedabad by train when I was a kid.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Can't answer that! I love them all (almost)!
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Asterix (yes, it belongs in the comics category, but..!), fiction by P.G.Wodehouse.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Keep up the good work! The web site is fantastic! The forums and writings by the maintainers are thought provoking and informative.
- Atul Patel in Newark, Delaware, USA
He is, an IT professional. He is originally from Bangalore and has been in the US for the past 14 years; he currently lives in Newark, Delaware.
Published - 1999
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.