1. Why did you leave India?
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
No I don't intend to return to India.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Its cleaner, oraganised, no red tape...don't have to wait in a
line to pay bills!!
4. What do like least about being abroad?
I miss my family and school friends!! Also I don't know if it is just my experience but desis are getting ruder and very pompous with fellow desis!(any thoughts?).
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I have no problem with that. Perhaps because I am from a secular country like India thats the last thing on my mind while looking for a life mate!
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I would resign!!
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Culture, family values and IT !!
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Population, Poverty and Politicians! (I like to call it the 3 Ps, and copyright it someday!!)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
I have no comments!!
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Amartya Sen, Abul Kalam Azad, and Chandrababu Naidu.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Yes,it has increased the awareness of sports as a career among the youth...else it was always "the national past time IAS, IPS" as a career!
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Nuclear power, IT and IT!!
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading, collecting trivia!
15. What is your happiest memory?
The day I realised I have best friend for life!!
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My trip to Stonehenge, England....the sheer beauty of the place was a very humbling experience!
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Cinema Paradiso, Rudali.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Tintin, Asterix, Vikram Seth, Salman Rushdie,Wilbur Smith.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Live life to the fullest!!
Meet Rachel Doss. She currently lives in Westmont, Illinois, USA and works in the IT sector.
Published - August 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.