1. Why did you leave India?
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, I would like to return and I would settle down in Bangalore.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Seeing places and good money.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Missing family and old life.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Depends, not much of a problem if language and food habits remain the same.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Explore alternatives to make India a giant super power of the world.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Unity in diversity, culture and peace loving citizens.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Political turbulence in Kashmir & north eastern states; population and illiteracy.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No., I agree with present form of government.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
All my family and friends.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It doesn't matter.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
There are plenty of them, however few of them are, installation of Indian Institutes (IITs, IISc, IIMs, etc.), ISRO, and democracy.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Watching TV, chatting, going to pubs, walking.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I got my first job, in India.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Complete South Indian trip I had with my family.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Gupt, True Lies.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
None - except, Vijay Muckey's C-odyssey programming.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
You all represent India. Don't let any kind bad name come to the nation. And, be Indian.
Setty Sivanand. He currently lives in Newbury, Berkshire (UK), and works in IT.
Published - June 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.