1. Why did you leave India?
To see for myself what the whole hullabaloo was about.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
As of this moment, maybe. I spent 35 years in India let me spend at least one third then we'll see.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
The whole system works. They still have some courtesy left in them. And of course it's a new land to see.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
My network of friends, family.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Not really. I believe its up to the parents really most of the time and I trust my wife's rearing abilities.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No thoughts. I am married, you see.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Speed up justice so and initiate a strong plan to punish the corrupt maybe with the help of the army. Possibly exemplary punishment. I like Khushwant Singh's views and the Saudi Arabian way of governance. Should work in India.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Diversity. Large marketplace. Human resource talent.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Corruption. Population. Internal Security.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
It has to be a unique form of government as the US model cannot be replicated. The present system has failed totally.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
As a nation it has been a tremendous drain and has hurt all other sports we were so good at.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Nuclear Tests. Sustained democratic values. Our Freedom struggle.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading, music, socialising.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Watching my kids grow.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My flight to the USA.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Chicken Tikka in a rumali roll. Actually Rajma Chawal are just as good.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Benhur, Mughal e Azam, Chalti Ka naam Gadi.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Cosmos (Carl Sagan); A Brief History Of Time (Stephen Hawking), Godfather (Mario Puzo).
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Get together to influence the future of your motherland. You have the power.
Meet Sandeep Anand. He currently lives in New York City (USA) and works in finance.
Published - June 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.