1. Why did you leave India?
For a change.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, either in Kerala, Rajasthan, Delhi or Banglore.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Good food, good working condition, great time to be with family.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Away from parents, the conversation topics, Karim's in Delhi, Sangeeta bhawan in Chennai & Chor bazaar in Old Delhi.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
No, believe me kids are smarter these days. They just need basic guidance on the life they want to live, rest they will find out. So it does not matter if they are in India or abroad.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I for one am happily married with a person I connect with. Its all about connecting with the other person, does not matter the language / food / culture etc. All things in the marriage like this gets sorted out with time.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Get going on the infrastructure in all states. First provide good roads, electricity, water and then concentrate on food, medical and general living standards. Infrastructure is first cause while all other problems can be easily manageable and because of the huge population the whole country can grow as a whole entity.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. Very Smart people.
2. Diversity all in one package.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Over Smart people. Over Smart people. Over Smart people.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No, the present setup is pretty good but badly managed with too much power with the Executives.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
All those poverty stricken people in India who are looking forward to the next day.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
We have done well for the 1st 50 years of independence.
1. The growth of Reliance industry was a good achievement.
2. People standing up for their right of land (to be converted to industrial wasteland from good agricultural land) is a good achivement.
3. Kerala state has a good achivement.
14. What is your favorite pastime?
Playing with my kids & watching movies when they are sleeping. There are other pastimes that I share with my wife which I can't discuss.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I got married & when my two kids were born.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
While travelling from Bhopal to Delhi by car, stopping near dhabbas for food when I was 15.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Biryani & Risotto
18. What are your favorite movies? (max 3)
2. The last of the Mohicans
19. What are your favorite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Best Reads are...
1. Malgudi days - RK Narayanan
2. All Amar Chitra kathas comics
3. Times of India
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Love the country you live in and be faithful to your country of origin.
Meet Ajay Alexander. He currently lives in Epping city, Australia.
Published - March 21, 2007
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.