1. Why did you leave India?
To live a life in the so-called free land, to earn more, to travel and explore new things/places.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Certainly. Definite to settle down in Chennai. Start my own service organization.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Quality and luxury of life. Living a life that is very alive. Being self-dependent (Self help is best help - truly followed).
4. What do like least about being abroad?
You have all but none. They say Home is at your heart, but I would say home is where you have your family.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Not at all.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Marriage is not only the tie up of two hearts but also the togetherness of two families. Hence, its acceptable but needs lots of understanding and work to make it successful.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
1. Eliminate Child Labor and force education to all
2. Every one must pay Income and Sales Tax
3. Eradicate Corruption
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. Unity in Diversity
3. Abundant resources
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
3. Lack of teachings about the richness and positive aspects of our country.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Does not matter. Any leader who is honest, patriotic, Unselfish and free to implement his/her ideas will better serve the nation.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
My Parents and to all my sincere teachers.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Yes and No.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1. Development of IT sectors
2. Space Program
3. Preserving our culture in spite of the growing craziness towards westernized life
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Surfing Internet, Travel / Driving and Movies/Music.
15. What is your happiest memory?
My life. Every second spent with my parents and brothers. The moment I fell in love with my husband.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
1. Trip to Sabarimala at age of 12
2. 8-day Tamil nadu pilgrimage trip with family and friends at the age of 22
3. First trip from Indian to USA at the age of 25
4. One week trip with my parents in Kerala at the age of 30
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Anything and everything prepared by my mom. Lemon Rasam and Potato fry.
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1. Swadesh (Hindi)
2. Vaaname Ellai (Tamil)
3. Kadalukku Mariyathai (Tamil)
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Album
2. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
3. Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, Kenneth H. Blanchard.
20. A message from you to other NRIs
Remember your ethics. Be Indian. Never speak ill of your country and your fellow (remember you are one of them).
Meet Srihari Mulgund. He currently lives in Toledo, Ohio, USA.
Published - June, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.