1. Why did you leave India?
To see what life has to offer outside India, basically to explore.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes , for sure and once returned would be settling down in Delhi .The place where i was born and brought up.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Where I am staying now , I love the climate as it's the bay area.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Lack of family ....
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
I have some years to go for kids , so no opinions now.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I feel that as long as you love the person or feel he is the right one for you, my word is don't let go.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Change the education system , however I like our prime minister now, especially after his rejecting help for the Tsunami disaster from other nations.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Now our Prime Minister and our education as we are offered jobs and high posts all around , proves that.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
I feel the end result is the same, the one who has power has to make a difference not the post.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Actually both as on the day of the matches. All Indians sit back home take leave and students do not study .The GDP is affected adversely, while on the other hand people staying abroad opt to pay a lot to watch the matches so India gains in terms of income too. Its for the economists to see , which one of these gives more profit.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
A lot to say, one or two points would be wrong.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
15. What is your happiest memory?
Being together with my family ....
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Going to the Andaman and Nicobar islands.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Dance with me.
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
I am not a book person . I only read about peoples behaviour. It intrigues me.
20. A message from you to other NRIs
Enjoy. Keep in touch ..its nice to know someone from your land once you are away.
Meet Srihari Mulgund. He currently lives in Toledo, Ohio, USA.
Published - June, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.