1. Why did you leave India?
Education, more money and learning to live independently.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes I would like to, mostly in Chennai.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
A lot of personal space, tidiness and straightforwardness.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Away from loved ones at home.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
A little,even in India a lot depends on the upbringing!
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I am not against it,but cannot do it for myself (not a hypocrite here!),just the mental set up!!
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Weed corruption and direct the funds to the right reforms.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Lack of strong and good leadership.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Cant say , good leaders are needed.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Hurt ,India --no respite from scandals.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Self reliance
2) Computer technology
3) Defence technology
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading books and listening to Music.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Getting good job offers after engineering.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
One to Mumbai with my cousins.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Traditional food and Mexican food!
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
I am fan of Sydney Sheldon(Rage of Angels).
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Help people as much as you can in your own capacities!!!Thats gives a lot of peace of mind and happiness!!!
Meet Vidhya Ganapathy.She currently resides in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Published - November 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.