1. Why did you leave India?
To see the world and develop myself.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Daily challenges and the of sorting them out, inter-cultural mixing.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Inability to express yourself when you don't know the language, standard of living of compatriots in European countries.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
No, I feel that if I leave outside India my family should adopt local culture and learn the good things.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No boundaries if the person is right match for you. But its difficult to find a person like this outside your immediate community.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Will try to be "nayak"... Though it was a fantasy but I believe if you put 1000 young and honest Indians in prime places this can become a reality.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Family values
2) Youth (but they become world's strength, like me)
3) Poverty : Give you a reason to fight.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1) Administration and Infrastructure
3) Brain Drain
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
If it consists of young, honest and hardworking people.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It has hurt.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Democratic Constitution
2) Harit Kranti
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Roaming around in Paris and sitting in cafes, talking to friends.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Getting into IIT.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Simple vegetarian Indian Food.
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2) There is something about Mary
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1) Animal Farm
20. A message from you to other NRIs
Lets talk to each other.
Meet Hemant.He currently lives in Paris and works in the IT industry.
Published - October 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.