1. Why did you leave India?
Actually I was forced by my family to study here.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
I have no such plans at the moment. Maybe in my 60's I would like
to retire in Mussoorie and relive my childhood memories.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Independence. Freedom of being ME!!
4. What do like least about being abroad?
I miss my family and India.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
No problem with that.But I would still like my children to study
for few years in India to know the culture and its values.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Diversity is always good!!
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Arrest all those ministers who get violent and start throwing
things during Parliament sessions. Its embarrassing!!
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
I never thought about that.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
All the great ones bhagwaan ko pyare hop gaye..
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
I think it brings India together as a nation.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
14. What is your favourite pastime?
I love going to Central park, New York. I just sit there and draw
for hours. Other times I like going to Karaoke bar.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Playing barefoot in the rainwater later being chased around by
Grandma with a stick in her hand.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Journey from childhood to adulthood.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Nothing in particular. I love spicy food.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) Live is beautiful
3) Sound of music
4) My best friend's wedding.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
I like R.K narayan's books and I love Ruskin Bond's books.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Every one of us represesnt India so think a million times before
taking any wrong steps.
Meet Tenzeen Dolkar.He is studying in New York, USA.
Published - September 2001
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.