1. Why did you leave India?
Lack of opportunities in my (medical) field.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, anywhere near Delhi.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Loneliness, being away from parents, kids upbringing in an alien culture, lack of true friends.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I have no problems but when I came here, I was already married.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Bring legal reforms and end corruption. Induct honest people in the parties.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Culture, people, and society.
9.What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Population, corruption, and indiscipline.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No, the present system is OK but needs some reforms: There are more chances of the new system misuse by one in power.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Opening up the economy.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
15. What is your happiest memory?
Living in India with my parents, enjoying school in Delhi.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Travelling to Goa on my honeymoon.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Mughlai, of course.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Dil to Pagal hai / Mughal e azam / Kaho na pyar hai
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Maharaja by Jaswant Sinha.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Love your country of origin.
Meet Parveen Sibal. He currently lives in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.
Published - March 2000
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.