1. Why did you leave India?
Different experience. Travel and see the world.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Ofcourse yes. The truth is that most people would have plans but very few execute it. I don't have any fixed timing & place but would return for my parents when they are old and need me near them.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Different people/diversity, culture and people being aware of their history.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
NO. It does not matter where as long as I am with my family.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I have not thought about marriage yet. At this stage I can safely say marrying different community/caste would be NO issue.
Different language may be an issue because of practical difficulties (for my safety I want my wife and mom to talk/fight.)
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Investment in infrastructure, primary education, reform in political party legal policy.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
2.Young population (700million under age 35)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
2.Primary education system which everyone can afford
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
It might help in the short/mid-term depending on who becomes president, however there is really no substitute to democracy. I would like to google/blog without worrying that I am being watched.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Personally - parents ofcourse, in public life - Ratan tata, Sachin tendulkar, A.R.Rahman, (loads of others from every walk of life).
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Let us face it, we are not a sporting nation. Cricket become popular become we won the world-cup without any great sporting infrastructure. If we win the Hockey world-cup, crazy will come and money will follow. The same applies for other sports..
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Within 60 years we are being compared with UK, US, european states, china,..(who have been free for centuries). Compare this with our Pakistani brothers who are still taking about Kashmir.
14. What is your favorite pastime?
Travel, read, friends, silence, blogs, sleep.
15. What is your happiest memory?
So many. Each stage of my life had its own highlights.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Bangalore, Delhi, Romania, Japan, Czech republic and loads more.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Chicken & Potatoes...in any shape or form.
18. What are your favorite movies? (max 3)
3.Tuesday's with Morrie
19. What are your favorite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
20. A message from you to other NRIs
If bored browsing do visit my blogs at https://iamyuva.freakin.nl/ and post your comments. You can reach me at email@example.com.
Meet Yuva. He currently lives in Athens, Greece.
Published - August 15, 2006
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.