1. Why did you leave India?
For higher education and training in Medical field.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
No. I had attempted to settle in India before without success.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Respect from your peers for your knowledge and hard work and achieve to your maximum potentials.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
I miss family and India.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No problems. I believe human beings are same even they speak different language or practice different religion.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Healthcare to every child and mother, job for person who wants to work and improve infrastructure of the country.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Human capital (with ambitious and hard working educated,intelligent people)
2) Culture and philosophy
3) abundant resources
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
2) poor or minimally existent healthcare
3) poor infrastructure
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No. Current set up of parliamentary democracy is the best.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
President Kalam, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Karan Singh.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Science & Technology
14. What is your favorite pastime?
Surfing Internet and learning about the whole world.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I got admitted to Medical School. This was a dream come true. I had plans to become a doctor in my elementary school.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
When I was returning to India after completion of five years of advanced education and training to settle in India to help my people in India.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Nothing really. Food is only for living and energy.
18. What are your favorite movies? (max 3)
1) Doctor Zivago
2) Doctor Kotnis Ki Amar Kahani
19. What are your favorite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1) Wings of Fire- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
3) My Own Country-Abraham Verghese
20. A message from you to other NRIs
With globalization, instant communications and easy travel world has become one and we have to work together for all mankind collectively.
Meet Dr. Laxmidas A. Sawkar. He currently lives in Overland Park, KS, USA.
Published - mar 21, 2006
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.