1. Why did you leave India?
For airline pilot training in Canada.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Not yet but if time comes it will always be Bombay.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Across the seven seas, you explore the different cultures,meet different people,learn to be independent in a new land.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
I cant watch kareena's movies very frequently as i used to watch in India.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Not at all.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
All that matters is love and mutual understanding it doesn't matter if some one is from another country or religion.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Green revolution again with farmers proper management.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
It has all the strength unless it is realised by India itself.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect,rather developed countries are not made in one day or one year, there are problems of illiteracy,un employement,racism, water management,farmers crisis but they can be solved if proper administration and proper management is made,it may take more 50 years, but at least let us begin.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No,government has never been the key for India's future, but what matters is administration of government servants.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
No and yes at same time,coz other games in India have stunted there growth and interests in people.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Been a secular and democratic country is the most important achievement which is the blood of every nation running through its body.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading,browsing,gardening,singing and finally anything connected with aviation.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When i completed my first solo flight on same day Amelia Earhart did.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
When i first went solo flying for cross country.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Gajar ka halwa.
18. What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2)Raj kapoor's every single film
19. What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1)Profiles in courage-JFK
2)Rajiv- SONIA GANDHI
3)Glimpses of world history- Nehru
20. A message from you to other NRIs
We dare not forget that we are the heirs of that first idea of the universal religion,so let us spread it around the globe.
Meet Raj. He currently lives in kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
Published - Jan 25, 2006
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.