1. Why did you leave India?
1. For a secure financial future.
2. To see the world.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, after I turn 55. Pune, Goa or Pondicherry.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Rule of Law, Quality of life, opportunities to learn, understanding new cultures.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Missing parents and family back home.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
It would cause problems in the long run. Even within India, inter-caste or inter-language marriages face a lot of problems.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
1. Launch stringent population control
2. Make education compulsary and free
3. Privatise as fast as possible.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. Self sufficient defence capability.
2. Abundant natural resources.
3. Academic infrastructure.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1. Population explosion
3. Corruption (all round)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
My parents, both of whom have touched hundreds of lives by providing education and support.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It has helped. It is one of the few sports in which India is good.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1. Launch of the SLVs and PSLVs.
2. Creation of large number of professionals (Engg, Doctors, Biotech etc)
3. 50 years of democracy to mature as a nation.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Playing music, channel surfing.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Informing my wife that I got my first career break.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Travelling late night on an open goods train from Baroda to Bombay and watching the comet shoemaker.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
ies18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2. Jaane bhi do yaaron
3. Dil Chahata hai
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Chariot of the gods (Eric von Daniken)
2. A twist in the tale (Geoffrey Archer)
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Always be ethical and be a good example of what India is.
Meet Rajarajan. He currently lives in Dublin, Ireland.
Published - January, 2003
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.