1. Why did you leave India?
For better work and money.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes. Bangalore or Hyderabad.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Sending Dollars to India.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Being away from family.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes, I would prefer my children get exposed to the competitiveness of studies in India, which is making most of us the best here.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No, even though religion and community have taken us in the wrong path. What is important is similar background and culture by which both sides get together quickly. It is like the analogy that if someone is your best friend, he would have the similar thinking as you have. Marriage is not between two persons, it between families and their future.7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Make people aware of our strength if used in the right direction.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
a. Its people,the human resource.
b. Its vast experience in different fields.
c. Its culture.9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
People are not focused and not aware of the strength they have. People look for short term gains, for example in business, they look for a short gain by compromising on quality but do not look ahead towards building a good international business.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Yes, for a short time and if a correct ruler takes the position.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
My father and mother.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It has helped us, we have made our name known to the world.
Which country is not obsessed about one game or another. US is obsessive about "Football".
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Despite being one most of the most populated country we are already finding solutions to problems, which other countries will face in the future.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Listening to music .
15. What is your happiest memory?
16. What's your most memorable journey?
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
I like indian food. Kova sweets
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Many, most recently Lagaan.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Read a lot of technical books only.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Do not run away from problems and blame others for that. Think what you can do to bring the difference.
Meet Anil K Kandregula. He currently lives in Dallas, Texas, USA.
Published - November, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.