1. Why did you leave India?
Due to the Dollar Exchange Rate.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, to my home town Bhopal.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
The United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) return my overpaid taxes in time. There is no need to count the change (usually) at shops or for any serivces.
At most basic facilities :
1. Roads are excellent(hmmmmmmm...remembering roads of ...desh)
2. Telephone(never dead)
3. Electricity(Always On )
4. US postal serivces
4. What do like least about being abroad?
They charge too much tax and the banks pays very little interest .
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Not much ...
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I don't like a messy life.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
2. No more Reservation.
3. Bureaucrats should spend 15 days in month in villages.
4. Laws for making bureaucracy and the politicians answerable to public.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
India's population is its strength. Specifically it's middle class that is attracting the world's interests as consumers and is providing the world with human resources.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1. Past mistakes.
2. Using minorities as vote bank.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
In the present context - Yes.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
P.V. Narasimha Rao.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
No comments, let the public decide.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Green Revolution. Self sufficiency in food /grains.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Surfing the Internet.
15. What is your happiest memory?
16. What's your most memorable journey?
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Dal chawal /Aalo ki sabji paratha.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
Ab rahane bhi do.
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Ek nai kitab.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Dont feel ashamed. Dont live like beggers by saving dollors . Spend some money .
Dont just eat daily curd rice and go to some hotel /pubs. Dont always look for sales and gagrage sales.
Meet Yatish. He currently lives in East Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
Published - November, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.