1. Why did you leave India?
To change my life.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Don't think so.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Stress less life, clean and Green environment.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Very little family values. Miss Indian culture - especially the festivals.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Not until the teenage years. Would be concerned for a teenager.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Could be hard especially from different religion and a different language.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Clean out corruption, control population and pollution.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. India's traditions
2. Family values
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Will not make any difference unless the person is intelligent and courageous to make decisions in the face of adversity and follow it to completion.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
None other than my parents.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Good in a way that cricket has developed but other sports are suffering - especially track and field events.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1. Self sufficient in agriculture
2. Nuclear capability
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Watching Indian movies, reading newspaper, browsing internet, walking.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Getting married to my husband(lover)and giving birth to my baby with my husband at my side in New Zealand.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Coming to New Zealand for the first time and alone.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Rice with dal, pickle and ghee and Hyderabad Biryani.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2. SeethaRamayya gari manavaralu(telugu)
3. Malleeswari (Telugu)
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Mahabharata - Rajaji
2. Ramayana - Rajaji
3. East and West - Swami vivekananda
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Keep in touch with Indian culture.
Meet Suguna. She currently lives in Waipukurau, New Zealand.
Published - September, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.