1. Why did you leave India?
To fulfill my dreams and ambitions.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Not thought about it so far.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Quality of Life.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Lack of cultural interaction.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
It is fine if there is a good rapport and understanding between the two.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
1. Cleansing the system from Corruption
2. Privatization of the Public sector
3. Population control
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1. Family values.
2. The system of education, though it needs a lots of improvement.
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No. The present system is good.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
My parents and the people who have made us proud like Abdul Kalam, Sachin Tendulkar but do not find many names now.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It has hurt other sports like hockey, football. However there are other factors for the decline in popularity of other sports like bureaucracy etc.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
3. Education though it can be improved further
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Watching movies and playing badminton or Cricket.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Doing well in the 12th exams.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Going home from London for the first time.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Daal and Salad with Tanduri Roti.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1. Dil Chahta hai
2. Hum aapke hain kaun
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
God of small things(Arundhati Roy)
Jahaz ka panchi(Ila Chandra Joshi)
To kill a mocking bird (Harper Lee)
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Keep up the good work, make India and fellow Indians proud of you.
Meet Abhishek Batla. He currently lives in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Published - September, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.