1. Why did you leave India?
To see my dream come true and pursue higher education and work on advanced industrial automation and robotics.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes, Chennai or Bangalore or my home town, Virudhunagar(TN).
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
You get to make friends from different countries. I love travelling and I get to travel a lot here.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
I miss my cute little nieces.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
I think its impossible to bring up a child with Indian cultural values if you stay abroad. As far as I am concerned, my country's culture is one of its biggest assets and I want to preserve it.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Practically speaking, marrying a girl outside your community or religion requires a lot of sacrifice and I personally think it is unnecessary. I am sure everyone can find a girl or a guy in their own community, India is never short on people from your community or religion.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Develop a good relationship between the Industry and Universities, so that we can improve our country technologically.
Take measures of eradicating poverty and illiteracy.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Soldiers, fighting for us in the Indo-Pak border.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
The charm of the game is gone now.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1. Culture and heritage has been preserved till date.
2. Friendly relationships with several countries have improved.
3. India being called a nuclear power.
14. What is your favourite pastime?
15. What is your happiest memory?
Being with my best friends have been my happiest memories.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Dosa, Idli, Paratha, etc....
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1. "Kanathil Mutham Ittal" (Maniratnam's latest Tamil Movie)
2. "Jo jeetha wohi sikandhar"
3. "Good will hunting"
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1. Michael Crichton - "Congo" and "Jurassic Park"
2. Sydney Sheldon - "Dooms day Conspiracy"
3. Jerome K.Jerome - "Three men in a boat"
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Live and let Live.
Meet Dinesh Manoharan. He currently lives in Esslingen, Baden - Wurttemberg, Germany.
Published - July, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.