1. Why did you leave India?
To go on to tougher pastures.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Definitely. Udaipur (Rajasthan).
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Better living conditions, more opportunities(debatable)and exchange rate considerations.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Regulations which are deterrents to free occupation.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Definitely...cultural differences will be a risk.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
Frankly it would not suit me.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
1) Control communalism.
2) Regulate the bureaucracy.
3) Downsize the cabinet.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Rich Culture & Heritage
2) Secular (mostly)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
3) Complex regulations (which give way to more corruption)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
It is not suited to a country like India.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
in It has not hurt India in any way...although the pioneers of the sporting faculty should consider promoting other sports
the international arena since there is abundant talent available.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
14. What is your favourite pastime?
15. What is your happiest memory?
My younger sisters birth.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Trip up north to Kulu Manali and Shimla.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Haleem (An Indian dish cooked with ground wheat and meat).
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2) Chupke Chupke
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Fountain Head (Ayn Rand)
Godfather (Mario Puzo)
Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Keep it up. You are doing your nation proud...but please do the most for the upliftment of our Nation
Meet Akhtar Husain Bohra. He currently lives in UAE.
Published - June, 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.