1. Why did you leave India?
I came to the United States after I got married. My husband wanted to complete his Master's degree in computers in the United States.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
I would love to return to India which I am planning anyway. I want to settle in bangalore.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Comforts, Money, Environment, Freedom, Convenience.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Loneliness, miss family, Festivals, Belongingness.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes. Daughter is currently growing to be a teen here. Yes! culture, kids upbringing.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No problem - ,as long as the two love each other dearly.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I will create a rule to end child prostitution, build better traffic laws, and aim to clean the environment.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
2) Family Bondings
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Water, poverty, electricity, weak traffic rules, improper security by police, bribes.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Dr. Abdul Kalam.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
It definitely has helped cricket. We should start praising India rather than criticising it.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) The IT fields
2) Wireless communication
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Watching TV, reading magazines.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Festivals, family gatherings, trips by train.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
My trip to Thirupathi.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) In Tamil - Mauna raagam
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
I do not remember titles. Books by Anuradha Ramanan, Sujatha, and Sivasankari.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Go back to India and serve your country. Show your children our way of life. Enjoy!
Meet Sudha Raghunathan. She currently resides in Edison, New Jersey, USA.
Published - March 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.