1. Why did you leave India?
My husband has a job here so to join him I had to leave India.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes no doubt. Indore (M.P) or Pune (M.S).
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
4. What do like least about being abroad?
The feeling of being an outsider here. I miss my family, my friends and every thing about India.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes. I dont want to raise my son here. I want to see him proud to be born and brought up in "India".
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
There is nothing wrong in it, if there is strong understanding between the couple and the marriage is accepted and supported by parents of both girl and boy.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I will try to make sure that no child goes to bed hungry.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
2) Self dependence
3) Courage to face any problem
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1) Illiterate Population
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
No. Unless there is strong will power to do some thing for the well being of the country , no form of the govt could be any better then this one.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
No. Cricket is adored by the majority but no way it could harm any other sport.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Self reliance in the field of Science
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading Marathi books and spending time with my little family.
15. What is your happiest memory?
The day my son Shreenivas called me "AAI".
16. What's your most memorable journey?
From Indore to Goa, after my marriage. I had never been to Konkan and the place is so astonishingly beautiful, it has made a permanent spot in my mind.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Purna chi poliand palak chi patal bhaaji.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
2) Ram Shastri
3) Chaukat Raja
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1) Shreeman Yogi (Shree Ranjit Desai)
2) Swami ( Shree ranjit Desai)
3) Every single world written by the Legendry Pu. La.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Live any where in the world but do not forget you are Indians. Every time you pray to God do not forget to ask him " Ne maj si ne parat Matra bhoomi la ithe pran talmalla".
Meet Rashmi Praveen Mandpe.She currently resides in Lombard, Illinois, USA.
Published - April 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.