1. Why did you leave India?
Was sent on deputation to Malaysia. Liked being abroad, so found a good job and settled here.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
May be. Not really able to make up my mind. If yes, some place like Panjim.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Hassle free. Everything works.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Being away from relatives.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Me and my family are settled here. No concerns.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
In my opinion, marriage must take place in your own community, language, culture etc. That way one can hope to keep the cultural line going on in the future.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Building infrastructure will be number one priority.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Rich cultural heritage
2) Strong Family ties
3) Vast resources (manpower, natural etc)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1) Political parties taking advantage of religion/language/caste divide.
3) Public apathy in national interests
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Military rule, probably.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
The scientist-Abdul Kalam.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
In my opinion, we are wasting our energies on a stupid game.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Agni Missile
2) Opening of economy
3) Green revolution
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Composing articles, short stories etc.
15. What is your happiest memory?
Launch of Agni.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Family outing to New Zealand.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) Bibi O Bibi
2) Khubsurat (Rekha's)
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
All of the Stephan Kings novels.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Spread our great Indian Culture abroad.
Meet Arun Manohar.He currently lives in Singapore.
Published - March 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.