1. Why did you leave India?
For my girlfriend who came to UK to settle.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Not in the near future but if ever we do it will be Chennai or Delhi.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Money and cleanliness.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Weather and materialistic people.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Missing out in family Values and our Culture.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No problem. I am married to one and she has adapted to our family values better than many Indians.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Compulsory Education for all children till they are 16 yrs old. Not easy but big corporates like Tata, Reliance and many others can donate
funds towards new schools. Bring young blood into politics with latest Technology.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
Our Culture and family values (respect for elders).
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
Education and training young children.
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
May be for short time.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
My parents and elder brothers.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Cricket has definitely helped but we need to do much more by opening better facilities to younger generation to be world standard.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
Better infrastructure for future (Long way to go yet but very good footing).
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Golf, Cricket, Squash and Reading about India.
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I went back after one Year staying in London to get married in Bombay at Taj's President Hotel.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Non stop driving from Mumbai to Chennai with my two Brothers in 1983.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Idli, Dosa and Pani Poori.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
3) Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gum
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Prefer reading magazines and books which give knowledge. Not a lover of novels. The Day of the Jackal and Kane and Abel were the two best liked.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Let us join hands and try and change India so that we can go back and live there. ( Though I go sometimes 6 times a year but not enough).
Meet Sandeep Khanna.He currently lives in West Purley, Surrey, United Kingdom.
Published - March 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.