1. Why did you leave India?
To assist my children staying in America-Canada particularly in children development & house keeping.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
I may plan to return to India to settle down in Gujarat.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
I like most of all the weather, systematic life, respect to others and lack of corruption.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Loneliness is the killer abroad.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes, I wish to raise my family members outside India because of ample opportunities.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
No. I am from an orthodox family. No other community or other language or other religion.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
To give proper education to the masses and for rural development.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Hard work
2) I.T. brilliancy
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1) Vast illiteracy
2) Acute shortage of water
3) Mismanagement of the Government
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
It may be but for that first educated masses are needed.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Nobody, but the ideology of immortal Mahatma Gandhi.
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Yes, very badly.
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) No lines in front of ration shops (Sufficiency in Food Grains)
2) No military upper hand
3) Democracy & Proficiency in I.T. industry
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Now reading on net web sites.
15. What is your happiest memory?
15th August 1947. The Independence Day.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
The first great journey to America for the marriage of my son.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Gujarati type Tur-Pulse-Dal say Curry (Aamati) & Rice-Bhat.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) Old Sant Tukaram when I was child
2) Gandhi when I was young
3) Veer Savarkar when I am old
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1) God Gosti by Sane Guruji (Marathi)
2) Kale Pani by V.D.Savarkar (Marathi)
3) Raja Shivchhatrapati by Babasaheb Purandare (Marathi)
20.A message from you to other NRIs
You are here because of the big financial help from the Govt. of India and your parents. This is your first prime duty to repay the help
taken, what you have received. Do not forget the real commitments.
Do not forget your roots.
Meet Sadanand Ramachandra Javalekar.He is currently living in Westborough, Massachusetts, USA.
Published - January 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.