1. Why did you leave India?
To earn more.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
Yes. Pune, Bangalore, Chennai or Cochin.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
Lifestyle, career development.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Missing my people/family.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Yes. Culture plays an important role and I would like to grow my kids the Indian way.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
I am open to it, as long as we both respect each others' individuality.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
Take steps to eradicate corruption.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Intellectual manpower
2) Unity in diversity
3) Self sustenance
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1) Over population
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Whichever form of government, as long as people avoid bad people coming to power.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
Sathya Sai Baba (Unlike other spiritual heads, he does genuine service to society).
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
Cricket as a sport has helped Indians do something in sport. Which other sport have we achieved something to talk about?
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Self sustenance
2) A strong economy independent of super powers
3) IT education
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Reading, travel, music, internet.
15. What is your happiest memory?
So many.. the ones where I forget myself in joy..
16. What's your most memorable journey?
The journey to Matheran.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Anything vegetarian goes.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) Hey Ram
2) The Truman show
3) Alai payuthe
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
Nothing specific.. too many to list down.
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Do not forget your roots.
Meet Vishweshwaran R.He currently lives in Muscat, Oman. He works in the Information Technology.
Published - January 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.