1. Why did you leave India?
Obviously for better money and the quality of life.
2. Do you plan to return to India to settle down?
At present, I have no plans to go back to India to settle down. But if I have to, I will prefer Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.
3. What do you like most about being abroad?
People and quality of life.
4. What do like least about being abroad?
Missing family and friends.
5. Would you be concerned about raising your family outside India?
Nope. I don't see anything bad here except the possibility of kids being influenced by bad company and bad habits. But that is happening in
India as well. If parents can guide their kids properly, this is a nice place to bring up kids.
6. What are your thoughts about marrying outside your immediate community, someone who speaks a different language or practices a different religion?
If religion is the only difference, I don't think there will be any problems. However, I will not do it.
7. What would be the first thing you would do if you became the Prime Minister of India?
I will privatise the vital institutions/departments such as transport (air/road), insurance, electricity, telecommunication and dissolve all unions.
8. What do you think are India's greatest strengths?(max 3)
1) Military capability
2) Unlimited resources
3) BJP (the political party)
9. What do you think are the biggest problems facing India? (max 3)
1) Corrupt politicians (as in Congress and Dravidian parties)
10. Do you think that a presidential form of government would better serve the needs of India's democracy?
Nope. That will turn into dictatorship.
11. For whom do you have the highest regard amongst living Indians?
12. Do you think that the national obsession with Cricket has helped or has it hurt India as a sporting nation?
13. What do you think are India's greatest achievements since Independence? (max 3)?
1) Possession of nuclear weapons
3) Steady industrial growth
14. What is your favourite pastime?
Playing cricket or watching discovery channel and sports channel on TV
15. What is your happiest memory?
When I was ragged by my college seniors in GCT, Coimbatore.
16. What's your most memorable journey?
Bike journey with 5 friends on 3 bikes for 3 days from Coimbatore -> Ooty -> Gudalur -> Mysore -> Bangalore -> Krishnagiri ->Salem -> Coimbatore.
17. What is your ultimate food dish?
Plain rice mixed with curd and served with mango pickles.
18.What are your favourite movies? (max 3)
1) Indian (Tamil)
2) Qayamat se qayamat tak (Hindi)
3) The Family man (English; Cast:Nicolas Cage)
19.What are your favourite books (please list authors as well)? (max 3)
1) The Autobiography of an unknown Indian (Nirad Chaudhuri)
2) Day of the Jackal (Fredrick Forsyth)
3) A twist in the tale (Jeffrey Archer)
20.A message from you to other NRIs
Please don't think that by working here (any foreign country) you are doing any service or good to this country. If that's the reason why you
are here, then what is preventing you from going back home and serving India? Be thankful to the country where you are in. Also help our fellow Indians
in India whenever and with whatever you could.
Meet Venkatesan.He currently lives in Dublin. He works in the IT industry.
Published - January 2002
Participate in 20-Questions
The views of this column are the author's own, and do not necessarily represent the views of NRI Online.