- Bringals/Cauliflower/Okra/Small onions can be used
- grated coconut 3 - 4 tbsp
- Green chillies - 2, split
- Small Onion - 8 - 10 sliced
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 4-5
- a pinch of turmeric
- Tamarind - 1 marble size soaked & juice extracted (or tomatoes)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Slice the vegetable into thin long pieces (round if okra).
- Heat pan on medium fire. Brown coconut. Add few curry leaves. Add coriander powder. Add chilly powder. Roast mixture till nearly dark brown.
- Cool browned spices. Add to grinder & grind without water till oil oozes out.
- Heat oil in pan for seasoning. Add mustard. Add small onions, remaining curry leaves, green chillies & veg. Saute lightly ("vazhate").
- Add tomatoes. Saute lightly. Add enough water just to cover the veg.
- Add salt. Allow veg to become tender. Add coconut mixture. Stir gently. Adjust amount of tamarind to accommodate taste of tomatoes. Add tamarind.
- Allow curry to thicken by cooking on a low fire or add water for more gravy.
Theeyal should be served hot with rice, roti or chapatis.
We appreciate your feedback, please Contact NRIOL