In the United States 9-1-1 is the emergency telephone number. This number should be dialed only under emergency circumstances only. The use of this number for non-emergency circumstances and prank is a crime and severe punishment will be enforced.
If you are uncertain about an event being an emergency, you can call 911 and tell them what the situation is. The person attending your call will determine whether you need an immediate emergency help or not.
When should you call 911 in USA?
- Serious medical conditions like Cardiac arrest or stroke symptoms, unconsciousness, breathing problems, chocking arises.
- Fire breakdown in an apartment, building, house, car, grass
- Crimes happening around you like Drug dealing, human trafficking, smuggling of goods, a murder or abduction
- Some serious car accidents involving major injuries
- Other events like poisoning, domestic violence...
When not to call 911 in USA?
If you are sure that a situation is not an emergency but still requires some assistance then you can dial 411 or the respective area's seven-digit non emergency number which is
available in the phone directory.
Some events include:
- When there is a minor accident with not much causality.
- Nuisances created by animals like dogs barking, trespassing.
- Power shortage due to stormy and rainy weather
- Disturbance caused by parties.
- As a prank or fooling around.
Law Enforcement in the United States
In the U.S., there are federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies that protect the well-being of people. The law enforcement officers are known as sheriff or police.
Make sure that you have kept the phone number of the nearest police station next to your phone. The police officers exist to protect your family and you from danger. So do be
scared to report a crime, especially if you are the victim. If you are stopped by a police officer:
- Do not get scared. Cooperate and be friendly to them.
- If you do not speak English, you need to tell the officer
- If you are in a car, do not step out of the car until the officer tells you to.
- Keep your hands where they are visible to the officer. Don't reach into your pockets or into other areas of the car where the officer cannot see.